Commander Ken Stambaugh – Spring Newsletter 2018
Hello Fellow Legionnaires and Legion Family. Here’s what’s been going on at your American Legion. It’s busy!
• Our New Year’s Eve party and Super Bowl parties were great successes. Thanks to our Home Association President Lee Rung, Manager Niki Brown and the entire HA staff for their leadership of these parties.
• We’ve got a great new Service Officer in Lee Lippi. Lee is a combat infantryman from the 101st in Vietnam. If you have veteran needs, Lee is the right man to help.
• We’re in the process of giving the small non-smoking dining room a facelift. Our goal is to make it light and inviting. We’re giving the bathrooms, dining area and the Mountain Road entranceway a serious makeover. I thank our small team of Lisa Adams (ALA), Tom Wolfe (Sons Cdr.), Niki Brown (Home Assn. Mgr.) and Bill Dornsife (Honor Guard Cpt.) for their help getting this done. Construction will be on-going through the month of April.
• The National and Department Commanders dinner was a great success on Tue, 20 Mar 18. Commander Rohan, the first female National Commander in our 99 year history, and State Commander Paul Kennedy visited our post during their tour of Pennsylvania. Commander Rohan was just so inspiring. Her passion for the Legion Family drives her every effort. I thank our entire Legion Family for their efforts at fund raising and for the conduct of the dinner. Over 230 people attended and the ad booklet contained 60 pages of welcome messages for the Commanders.
• Our Past Commanders and Past Presidents of our Legion Family Dinner will be held 15 May in conjunction with our regular post meeting. This will be a great opportunity to come out and mingle with the Legion Family.
• Our 99th Annual Memorial Day Parade will be held at 1 pm on Mon, 28 May. How exciting is this as we approach our 100th Anniversary in 2019? The Linglestown Flagpole was dedicated on 6 Sep 1919 by our Post during the “Welcome Home Boys” parade.
• I continue to serve on the Department of Pennsylvania American Legion 100th Anniversary Committee. A major parade is scheduled for Saturday, 14 July at 1pm on Front and 2nd Street in Harrisburg to kick off the year-long celebration. This should be a fun event and I hope you plan on attending.
Finally, we have a great post. Our membership is over 100% from last year. We’re recognized as a model post by the leadership of the PA American Legion. Please get involved with us to help us represent the best of America to the community of Central Pennsylvania, as embodied by our veterans and volunteers. We need you at our monthly meetings. We have a small core group of volunteers that keeps things going. With over 800 veterans, we still struggle to have a quorum of 10 for our meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 1900. I’m not begging, it’s just a fact. If we as veterans don’t continue to serve together and accomplish the missions, the standing and accomplishments of veterans in the community isn’t fully supported. Plus our community support of our local schools, police and veteran hospitals suffers. Thank you and please give me a call if you’d like to chat about anything.